Monday, June 10, 2013

Country Island - MEGA UPDATE WITH LOTS OF PHOTOS!

WELL.

Long time no see!

First off, my apologies for not updating my blog lately! We were having internet problems at Country Island and thus I haven't had much internet access until now (Thank you Tim Hortons!)!!!

I was in a rush writing this, so please forgive me. I am now on the last couple days of my week break (Megan and Charmaine has already taken theirs!). I'm headed back to CI hopefully tomorrow morning, so these will be all the photos you get for now! There will be a ton of work to do for the rest of the season when I get back, so I'm getting pretty excited for that!

But I will try and update you when that work comes! For this blog, I will show what we've done or seen the past 5 weeks!

We've seen Birds! Lots of them! We are now at 106 bird species on the year (Crushing the record from the past 16 years!).  Megan and Charmaine added a Dovekie and Manx Shearwaters (A lifer! :( ), since I left! Lucky them!   We've still got a few that will come for sure that we haven't seen yet (Short Billed Dowitcher, Whimbrel, Puffin etc!)

Anyways. Photos! Here they are!

We've been eating well!

Pizza!

French Toast with Bananas and Chocolate Sauce

Muffins!

Pizza and Bird Book!  A good combination for a field biologist!



And here is a bit of the island!

Helicopter unloading Gear on Day 1

What the island looked like when we arrived

The bog starting to go green!

More lighthouse!

Sunsets are quite nice out here!




This is camp.  Cooking tent (left), living tent (middle), Shower and Shed (Right)

More lighthouse!





And Wildlife! Tons of it!

 Arctic Tern (One of three species of Terns on CI, and sees more sunlight than any other animal on the planet!)

We don't like these guys.  Especially in the colony.  This one is perched on one of our grid markers, P36.

Black and White Warbler.  One of our first ones of the year!

Black Bellied Plover!

Black Legged Kittiwake (Lifer!)

Black Throated Green Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Canada Warbler

Great Cormorant (Left) and Double Crested Cormorant (Right)


Laughing Gull! (Lifer!)

Lincoln's Sparrow

Northern Waterthrush!

Ovenbird

Parasitic Jaeger

Roseate Tern! WOOT! Last I've heard, we've got 10 pairs.  Hopefully we get more!  Will post more photos after the field season!

Ruddy Turnstones!

Willet.  Lots of them on the island, they can get quite annoying.


Phalarope Species!  Leaning towards a Wilson's Phalarope! Any help would be appreciated!

Phalarope Species!  Leaning towards a Wilson's Phalarope! Any help would be appreciated!

Yellow Bellied Flycatcher

And here, my photos will get shuffled around! (In a rush!!)


Eider Nest!


Black Guillemot!

More Lighthouse, Sunsets!

Yeah.... we even go birding during breakfast...

Tern Nest.  Probably an Arte.  They started nesting first this year.
Vireo species.  At first we thought it was a Philidelpha, now I'm no so sure... maybe a Warbling Vireo?  Help would be appreciated!

Vireo species.  At first we thought it was a Philidelpha, now I'm no so sure... maybe a Warbling Vireo?  Help would be appreciated!


Yellow Bellied Flycatcher Again!


Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Yellow Rumped Warbler!




Well, thats it for now!

Will post more photos in August!

2 comments:

  1. All kinds of Wilson's that phalarope is, and I agree with warbling, too pale for a philly and he has quite a small bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for bringing us to the island with you, Brennan. There are quite a few birds on that small little island! I really enjoyed your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete